Information about exam submissions like home exams, essays or portfolio exams, and information about the digital exam system WISEflow.
NB! The information on this page is only valid for exam submissions, not for course requirement submissions. Course requirements are compulsory requirements that have to be approved before you can take the exam, like mid-term papers, essay drafts etc. Consult the course catalogue (and search for your course) if you are unsure of whether a submission is an exam or a course requirement.
- The exam dates and the submission deadlines are available on the front page of StudentWeb under «Upcoming events» as well as in the course catalogue.
- Submission for essays and portfolio exams will open no later than three days before the deadline, at which the course will become visible in WISEflow. An e-mail will be sent when this happens.
Exams must be submitted electronically in the digital exam system WISEflow, unless otherwise stated in the course catalogue or in Canvas.
See the «User guide for exam submissions in WISEflow» (pdf) for how to submit.
You can log on to WISEflow at any time to see how it looks like. You can also submit a demo exam as many times as you like (see the user guide for more). We recommend recently updated versions of the browsers Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Internet Explorer is NOT recommended.
Regarding the submission
- Note that is only possible to submit PDF-files. A general guide on how to convert files to PDF is available here.
- Your submission must be anonymous. Do not write your name anywhere, including in the file name.
- It is preferred that you state your candidate number (in the introduction). You can find it on StudentWeb.
- You will be asked to agree on an academic integrity commitment statement after you have uploaded your exam paper.
- Note that MF is using a plagiarism checker. The examiners will receive a plagiarism report on your submission. It is therefore very important to make sure you refer to sources correctly, both in the running text and the bibliography. See the resources for academic writing below.
If you experience problems with submitting, contact the exam office before the deadline passes. If the deadline has passed, you should send an e-mail with the submission attached to firstname.lastname@example.org within five minutes. Note however that late submissions normally will be rejected. Do not contact teachers if you have technical problems.
General requirements to the submission
Please use the font Times New Roman, spacing 1.5 and font size 12 (10 in footnotes), and otherwise normal margins and consistent use of headings. Your submission should also include information about:
- Course code and semester (for instance "RL1011 Autumn 2018)
- Word count (excluding front page, table of contents and bibliography. Footnotes do count.)
- Total page numbers on the cover page (and running page numbers in the footer)
- Title/research question/the question for the assignment
- Other information you may have been asked to supply, for example sub-discipline
We recommend using the template for exam submissions to ensure that these requirements are met.
Resources for academic writing
- See the document «Formal guidelines for writing assignments at MF» (pdf) for information about how to refer to literature.
- See Atle Søviks online writing course and lectures on referencing.
- See also the web sites Search and Write, and The Citation Compass for more information about academic writing. The Citation Compass has a particularly useful overview on how to refer to different types of sources in different citation systems.