- Emnekode: TEOL2450
- Studiepoeng: 10
- Språk: Engelsk
Kristen initiasjon: Troen, dåpen og Ånden TEOL2450
The term 'Christian Initiation' refers to a theological topic concerned with the appropriation of salvation and the beginning of the Christian life. Concepts such as conversion, regeneration, spiritual renewal, faith, baptism, eucharist, and the gift of the Spirit belong to this topic. Furthermore, the worldwide Pentecostal movement has placed the understanding of 'baptism in the Holy Spirit' on the theological agenda and actualized the relation between the charismatic and the sacramental character of the church. In this course, Christian initiation will be presented in its theological and confessional breadth and in an interdisciplinary way. The interrelation between faith, water baptism, eucharist, and Spirit baptism will be discussed in light of NT passages, insights from early church liturgies, and by help of later developments as they come to the fore within the Orthodox, Catholic, Lutheran and Pentecostal churches and denominations.
The course is a core subject in the bachelor program Theology, Religion and Society.
Modes of teaching and learning activities:
- Lectures by scholars coming from different church traditions
- Discussions and dialogue
- Group assignments
- Essay writing
- 0 dager
- Tidspunkt for utlevering:
- 0 dager
In order to receive a final assessment, the student must:
- Attend at least 60 percent of the lectures
- have approved an essay of 1200-1500 words on a subject covered in the course
- Participate in the electronic evaluation of the course if such evaluation is stipulated in the relevant term.
- When course requirements are not fulfilled, this will count as one examination attempt, unless the student withdraws before the set deadline (1 May/November).
Læringsutbytte etter fullført emne
The student has:
- good knowledge of the relation between faith, baptism, eucharist, and the Spirit as it is facilitated within certain central church traditions
- good knowledge of how Christian initiation has become understood and ritualized, particularly in the early church
- knowledge of the most important New Testament passages related to the process of Christian Initiation
The student can:
- analyze and evaluate different approaches, practices and liturgies when it comes to the understanding of faith, baptism, eucharist, and the gift of the Spirit
- utilize this knowledge in order to argue in a reflected, unbiased, and critical way
- reflect upon one's own experiences in light of the theoretical insights given in the course
The final evaluation is a 4 hour written exam. The exam is assessed with grades (A-F).
Examination support material permitted on the exam: List E, List F. Link to overview over support material lists: https://www2.mf.no/dokumenter/studier/eksamen/hjelpemidler_eksamen.pdf
Exam dates for the new and deferred exams January 2022 are available here: https://gammel.mf.no/en/studycatalogue/exams