NB! Endringer i emnebeskrivelsene (inkludert litteraturlistene) og eksamensdatoene kan forekomme fram til semesterstart det aktuelle semestret. Ved få studenter kan det på noen emner forekomme endringer i undervisningstilbud og eksamensform.
TEOL2640: Church in the World: Denominations and Ecumenism
|Emneansvarlig:||Jeppe Bach Nikolajsen (Jeppe.B.Nikolajsen@mf.no)|
|Studieprogramtilhørighet:||Bachelorprogrammer - Bachelor i teologi|
Bachelorprogrammer - Bachelor in Theology, Religion and Society
|Avdelingstilhørighet:||Avdeling for teologi og kirkelig utdanning|
|Tillatte hj.midler ved eksamen:||Liste E, Liste F|
Klikk på en rad for å vise mer info.
|Eksamenstype||Eksamens- / innleveringsdato||Trekkfrist|
|Skriftlig eksamen||2020-05-19 19. mai 2020||2020-05-01 1. mai 2020|
TEOL2640 focuses on the main dominations in world Christianity and on the church¿s ecumenical profile. We often talk about new faces of Christianity, and the course will reflect these major developments within the global church. We will focus on a selected group of churches and denominations, their historical background, growth, identity, distinctive features and beliefs.
The course also introduces ecumenism as a term that signalizes the church¿s longing for visible unity. We ask: what do the churches in general have in common and what are the main differences? We will critically thematize the tools and working methods that have characterized ecumenism over the past 100 years, and we will discuss different alternative approaches and cooperation models, because changes in the church landscape, social issues and the work for peace and justice represent new challenges in the ecumenical work.
Modes of teaching and learning activities:
- Lectures, discussions and group dialogues
- Essay writing
Reduction of Credit points
TEOL2650 does not overlap with other courses.
In order to receive a final assessment, the student must:
- have approved an essay of 1200-1500 words on a subject covered in the course
- attend at least 60 percent of the lectures
- participate in the electronic evaluation of the course if such evaluation is stipulated in the relevant term.
- When course requirements are not fulfilled, this will count as one examination attempt, unless the student withdraws before the set deadline (1 May/November).
The final evaluation is a 4 hour written exam. The exam is assessed with grades (A-F).
The student has:
- knowledge about the far-reaching changes in the worldwide geography of Christianity
- understanding of the historical background for the most influential churches and denominations in the world today, their doctrinal beliefs and worship
- insight into what promotes a good conversational culture when facing theological and ethical disagreement between churches
- insight about tools and working methods that characterize the ecumenical movement
The student can:
- analyze and evaluate the similarities as well as the differences between selected bodies which represent the worldwide church today
- in a constructive and critical way reflect upon ecumenical tools and working methods and how contemporary issues represent new challenges in the ecumenical dialogue
- reflect upon one's own approaches in light of the theoretical insights given in the course
- (1997). Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification. Geneva: The Lutheran World Federation.. Hentet fra www.lutheranworld.org
- (2011). An Ecumenical Call to Just Peace. Geneva: World Council of Churches.. Hentet fra www.overcomingviolence.org
- (2011). One Baptism: Towards Mutual Recognition. Geneva: World Council of Churches. Bibliotek. Hentet fra www.oikoumene.org
- Chapman, M. D. (2006). Anglicanism: A very short introduction. Oxford,New York: Oxford University Press. Bibliotek. Hentet fra bibsys-almaprimo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
- Jones, S. R. (2009). The Global Christian Forum: A narrative history. I H. v. Beek (Red.), Revisioning Christian unity: Journeying with Jesus Christ, the reconciler at the global Christian forum, Limuru, November 2007 (s. 3-36). Oxford: Regnum. Bibliotek
- Kay, W. K. (2011). Pentecostalism: A very short introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Bibliotek
- Murray, P. D. (Red.) (2008). Receptive ecumenism and the call to Catholic learning: Exploring a way for contemporary ecumenism (IX-XV, 3-51, 78-88). Oxford: Oxford University Press. Bibliotek
- O'Collins, G. (2008). Catholicism: A very short introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Bibliotek
- The Lausanne Movement, . (2010). The Cape Town commitment: A confession of faith and a call to action.. Hentet fra www.lausanne.org
- World Council of Churches. Commission on World Mission and Evangelism, . (2012). Together towards life: Mission and evangelism in changing landscapes. Geneva: World council of Churches.. Hentet fra www.oikoumene.org
- World Council of Churches. Faith and Order Commission, . (1982). Baptism, eucharist and ministry. Geneva: World Council of Churches. Bibliotek. Hentet fra www.oikoumene.org