NB! Endringer i emnebeskrivelsene (inkludert litteraturlistene) og eksamensdatoene kan forekomme fram til semesterstart det aktuelle semestret. Ved få studenter kan det på noen emner forekomme endringer i undervisningstilbud og eksamensform.
TEOL2450: Kristen initiasjon: Troen, dåpen og Ånden
|Emneansvarlig:||Terje Hegertun (Terje.Hegertun@mf.no)|
|Studieprogramtilhørighet:||Bachelorprogrammer - Bachelor i teologi|
Bachelorprogrammer - Bachelor i religion og samfunn
Bachelorprogrammer - Bachelor in Theology, Religion and Society
|Avdelingstilhørighet:||Avdeling for teologi og kirkelig utdanning|
|Tillatte hj.midler ved eksamen:||Liste E, Liste F|
Klikk på en rad for å vise mer info.
|Eksamenstype||Eksamens- / innleveringsdato||Trekkfrist|
|Skriftlig eksamen – Ny og utsatt - NB! Egne tilgangsregler.||2020-01-13 13. jan. 2020||2020-01-06 6. jan. 2020|
The term 'Christian Initiation' refers to a theological topic concerned with the appropriation of salvation and the beginning of the Christian life. Concepts such as conversion, regeneration, spiritual renewal, faith, baptism, eucharist, and the gift of the Spirit belong to this topic. Furthermore, the worldwide Pentecostal movement has placed the understanding of 'baptism in the Holy Spirit' on the theological agenda and actualized the relation between the charismatic and the sacramental character of the church. In this course, Christian initiation will be presented in its theological and confessional breadth and in an interdisciplinary way. The interrelation between faith, water baptism, eucharist, and Spirit baptism will be discussed in light of NT passages, insights from early church liturgies, and by help of later developments as they come to the fore within the Orthodox, Catholic, Lutheran and Pentecostal churches and denominations.
The course is a core subject in the bachelor program Theology, Religion and Society.
Modes of teaching and learning activities:
- Lectures by scholars coming from different church traditions
- Discussions and dialogue
- Group assignments
- Essay writing
In order to receive a final assessment, the student must:
- have approved an essay of 1200-1500 words on a subject covered in the course
- attend at least 60 percent of the lectures
- Participate in the electronic evaluation of the course if such evaluation is stipulated in the relevant term.
- When course requirements are not fulfilled, this will count as one examination attempt, unless the student withdraws before the set deadline (1 May/November).
The final evaluation is a 4 hour written exam. The exam is assessed with grades (A-F).
The student has:
- good knowledge of the relation between faith, baptism, eucharist, and the Spirit as it is facilitated within certain central church traditions
- good knowledge of how Christian initiation has become understood and ritualized, particularly in the early church
- knowledge of the most important New Testament passages related to the process of Christian Initiation
The student can:
- analyze and evaluate different approaches, practices and liturgies when it comes to the understanding of faith, baptism, eucharist, and the gift of the Spirit
- utilize this knowledge in order to argue in a reflected, unbiased, and critical way
- reflect upon one's own experiences in light of the theoretical insights given in the course
In addition to the literature listed below, teachers will make certain texts available in Canvas. These texts are also required reading.
- On becoming a Christian: Insights from scripture and the patristic writings with some contemporary reflections: Report of the fifth phase of the International dialogue between some classical Pentecostal Churches and leaders of the Catholic Church (1998-2006). Hentet fra www.prounione.urbe.it
- Bradshaw, P. F. (2010). Early Christian worship: A basic introduction to ideas and practice (2 utg.). London: SPCK. Bibliotek
- Ginther, J. R. (2009). The Westminster handbook to medieval theology (selections). Louisville, Ky: Westminster John Knox Press. Bibliotek (Se Canvas)
- Hegertun, T. (2017). The Spirit driven Church: Signs of God's graceful presence (s. 54-215). Eugene, Or: Pickwick. Bibliotek
- Johnson, M. (2015). Christian initiation. I Oxford research encyclopedia of religion. Oxford: Oxford University Press.. Hentet fra dx.doi.org
- Johnson, M. E. (2007). The rites of Christian initiation: Their evolution and interpretation (Rev. and expanded utg., s. 1-40). Collegeville, Minn: Liturgical Press. Bibliotek (Kompendium)
- McGrath, A. E. (2012). Reformation thought: An introduction (4. utg., s. 1-23, 163-190). Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell. Bibliotek /9780470672839 (Kompendium)
- Stronstad, R. (2012). The charismatic theology of St. Luke: Trajectories from the Old Testament to Luke-Acts (2. utg.). Grand Rapids, Mich: BakerAcademic. Bibliotek
- Turner, M. (1998). The Holy Spirit and spiritual gifts in the New Testament Church and today (Rev. utg., s. 36-56, 150-168). Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson. Bibliotek (Kompendium)