Dersom koronasituasjonen endrer seg, kan det bli endringer i emnets vurderingsformer (studiekrav og/eller eksamen). Slike endringer vil bli kunngjort i emnerommet i Canvas. Alle studenter må holde seg løpende oppdatert om disse endringene.
TEOL1410: Introduction to the History of Christianity
Generell informasjon | Generell informasjon | Overlappende emner | Overlappende emner | Studiekrav | Studiekrav | Avsluttende vurdering | Avsluttende vurdering | Læringsutbytte etter fullført emne | Læringsutbytte etter fullført emne | Litteratur
|Emneansvarlig:||John Wayne Kaufman (John.W.Kaufman@mf.no)|
|Studieprogramtilhørighet:||Bachelorprogrammer - Bachelor i teologi|
Bachelorprogrammer - Bachelor in Theology, Religion and Society
|Avdelingstilhørighet:||Avdeling for teologi og kirkelig utdanning|
Klikk på en rad for å vise mer info.
|Eksamenstype||Eksamens- / innleveringsdato||Trekkfrist|
|Hjemmeeksamen||2021-06-04 4. juni 2021||2021-05-01 1. mai 2021|
|Hjemmeeksamen – Ny og utsatt - NB! Egne tilgangsregler.||2021-08-13 13. aug. 2021||2021-08-01 1. aug. 2021|
The Christian church was born in the Middle East but quickly spread in all directions, both to Europe, Africa and Asia. The course Introduction to the History of Christianity will introduce students to the growth and diversification of Christianity through the centuries, giving an overview over the history of Christianity from antiquity until approximately 1800.
TEOL1410 overlaps partly with K1020 Bible studies and the history of Christianity. Students who have already completed K1020 will receive 5 credit points (ECTS) for TEOL1410 on their transcript of records or diploma.
- Submit on Canvas and receive approval for one essay (900-1200 words). The essay must include correctly formatted references and a bibliography. See the syllabus for details on the topic of the essay and the due date.
- Pass an in-class test on central dates and topics in the history of Christianity.
- Participate in the electronic evaluation of the course if such evaluation is stipulated in the relevant term.
The final assessment for TEOL1410 is based on a three-day home exam (2500-3500 words). The course and final exam will be graded A-F.
The student has:
- knowledge of ancient Greece, Rome and Israel as the political, cultural and religious background for the rise of Christianity
- knowledge of the development of Christianity in Europe in antiquity, the middle ages and the early modern period
- knowledge of the spread of Christianity to Asia and Africa in antiquity and the early middle ages
- knowledge of the main lines of development in the organization of the church and the church's relationship with secular authorities in these periods
- knowledge of the main lines of development in Christian theology, sacraments, piety and monastic life in these periods
- knowledge of the main lines of development in Christian art and architecture in these periods
The student can:
- present and discuss historical developments
- write an academic paper using relevant sources which are referred to in a correct manner
For å få tilgang til elektronisk litteratur når du ikke sitter på MF:
- Jenkins, P. (2008). The lost history of Christianity: The thousand-year golden age of the church in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia - and how it died (ix-44). New York: HarperOne. Bibliotek (Kompendium)
- MacCulloch, D. (2009). A history of Christianity: The first three thousand years (Chapters. 1-20, 23). London: Allen Lane. Bibliotek