NB! Endringer i emnebeskrivelsene (inkludert litteraturlistene) og eksamensdatoene kan forekomme fram til semesterstart det aktuelle semestret. Ved få studenter kan det på noen emner forekomme endringer i undervisningstilbud og eksamensform.
SAM5041: Religion, Education and Development
|Emneansvarlig:||Ingen faglærer, spør firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Studieprogramtilhørighet:||2-årige masterprogrammer - Master in Religion in Contemporary Society|
|Avdelingstilhørighet:||Avdeling for religion, skole og samfunn|
This course will introduce the students to development theories and on-going debates regarding the multiple relationships between education, religion and development. Often religion plays a key role in development on different levels. On a macro level, the course gives an introduction to central theories within the field of development studies. Added to these general theoretical frameworks the course introduces some central global dynamics of education. On a meso- and micro level, the course looks at religion in education giving examples from both national policies and local contexts where religion plays a central part in development. Some of the central theories presented in the course will be examined in-depth in selected empirical case studies. Perspectives will be drawn from religious studies, development studies, comparative and international education, international relations and the study of civil society and faith-based organizations. Both the role of religion in development and religion at different levels of educational policies and practices will be addressed.
SAM5041 Religion, Education and Development overlaps partly with SAM5146 Religion and Development.
In order to receive a final assessment, the student must:
- Present one article from the literature list to be shared with fellow students in your course. The presentation should be in an electronic format (for instance a podcast or video) and demonstrate oral communication and presentation skills and your ability to critically analyze an academic text. Please see detailed descriptions on the Canvas course page
- attend at least 75% of lectures and seminars
- participate in the electronic evaluation of the course if such evaluation is stipulated in the relevant term
When course requirements are not fulfilled this will count as one examination attempt, unless you withdraw within the set deadline (1 May/ 1 November).
In order to pass SAM5146 the student must fulfil all the requirements and write an essay (4000-4500 words) on a topic given by the professor. The essay is assessed with grades (A-F).
The student has:
- A thorough knowledge of the role of religion in development thought and development practice
- A thorough knowledge of selected case studies about education and religion in development
- A good knowledge of development theories
- A good knowledge of the global governance of education and implications for development
- knowledge of key topics within contemporary development research
The student can:
- analyse and discuss critically the concept and history of «development»
- analyse and discuss critically the different positions and theories regarding the role of religion in education and development
- identify key dilemmas and challenges in the interrelationship between religiosity and social, political and cultural development worldwide
- apply relevant theories on the role of religion in development, specifically related to education
- demonstrate oral communication and presentation skills and the ability to critically analyze an academic text