MET5010: Kvalitative forskningsmetoder
Generell informasjon | Generell informasjon | Overlappende emner | Overlappende emner | Studiekrav | Studiekrav | Avsluttende vurdering | Avsluttende vurdering | Læringsutbytte etter fullført emne | Læringsutbytte etter fullført emne | Litteratur
|Emneansvarlig:||Marielle Stigum Gleiss (Marielle.S.Gleiss@mf.no)|
|Undervisningsstart:||Høst og vår|
|Studieprogramtilhørighet:||2-årige masterprogrammer - Master i teologi|
2-årige masterprogrammer - Master i kirkelig undervisning
2-årige masterprogrammer - Master in Religion, Society and Global Issues
2-årige masterprogrammer - Master in Religion in Contemporary Society
5-årige masterprogrammer - Lektorprogram i KRLE/Religion og etikk og samfunnsfag
|Avdelingstilhørighet:||Avdeling for religion, skole og samfunn|
|Tillatte hj.midler ved eksamen:||Liste F 2|
Klikk på en rad for å vise mer info.
|Eksamenstype||Eksamens- / innleveringsdato||Trekkfrist|
|Skriftlig eksamen – Ny og utsatt - NB! Egne tilgangsregler.||2020-01-14 14. jan. 2020||2020-01-06 6. jan. 2020|
|Mappevurdering||2020-06-10 10. juni 2020||2020-05-01 1. mai 2020|
MET5010 aims to make students able to critically understand and discuss the choices involved in conducting qualitative research, and help them in designing their own master thesis. The course addresses issues of research design, research methods, qualitative data collection and analysis, research ethics and criteria for evaluating research quality. The course will be taught in English in spring semester unless there are only Norwegian students participating in the course, and in Norwegian in autumn semester.
Parts of MET5010 Empirical research methods overlap with MET508 Research Methodology. Because of this overlap, students who have already completed MET508, will receive 6 credit points (ECTS) for MET5010 on their transcript of records or diploma.
To be qualified for final assessment, the student must:
- be present at 75% of the teaching
- answer a number of questions related to a series of short video lectures in Canvas
- submit and have approved a first draft and a revised version of a blog text
- participate in an obligatory course in searching databases (not for students who have passed SAM5030)
- register topic for the master thesis (100-300 words)
- write a contract with a supervisor
- participate in the electronic evaluation of the course if such evaluation is stipulated in the relevant term
When course requirements are not fulfilled, this will count as one examination attempt, unless the student withdraws before the set deadline (1 May/November).
The student must fulfill all the requirements and submit a portfolio consisting of two texts: a methods report (2000-2500 words) and a project description (2000-2500 words). The portfolio is assessed with grades A-F.
The candidate has:
- a thorough knowledge of the relations between research design, research questions and research methods
- a thorough knowledge of different qualitative research methods and their possibilities and limitations
- a thorough knowledge of ethical and methodological challenges in qualitative research involving people
- a good knowledge of strategies for qualitative data analysis
- a good knowledge of criteria for evaluating research quality
The candidate can:
- identify research questions, research methods and theoretical perspectives in an empirical study and critically discuss how methodological and theoretical choices influence the knowledge produced
- design a research project such as a master thesis, including formulating research questions, selecting suitable research methods and justifying the methodological choices made
- find and review academic literature relevant to one's own research project
- critically reflect on the ethical aspects of doing qualitative research
- critically discuss methodological challenges in research involving people, including issues of power relations and positionality
- In addition to the literature listed below, the students will: /? select and read one master thesis from a list of previous master theses. /? find and read about 100 pages of previous research related to a mini research project conducted in class/? select and read about 200 pages of literature related to the mini research project.
- Braun, V. & Clarke, V. (2006). Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 3(2), s. 77-101. Bibliotek (Kompendium).
- Brinkmann, S. & Kvale, S. (2015). InterViews: Learning the Craft of Qualitative Research Interviewing (3. utg., s. 203-214). Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage. Bibliotek (Kompendium)
- Dam, R. & Lunn, J. (2014). First impressions count: The ethics of choosing to be a 'native' or 'foreign' researcher. I J. Lunn (Red.), Fieldwork in the Global South: Ethical challenges and dilemmas (s. 96-108). London: Routledge. Bibliotek (Kompendium)
- Eriksson, L. (2019). Intersections between Biopolitics and Religion: Cases of Politicisation of Religion in Finland and Norway. Nordic Journal of Religion and Society, 32(1), s. 40-54. Bibliotek. Hentet fra doi.org
- Islam, M. (2019). Reflection note: Confessions of a Muslim researcher ? considering identity in research. International Journal of Social Research Methodology, (4. Desember 2019), s. 1-7. Bibliotek (Kompendium).
- Rao, A. H. (2015). Gender and Cultivating the Moral Self in Islam: Muslim Converts in an American Mosque. Sociology of Religion, 76(4), s. 413-435. Bibliotek (Kompendium).
- Siwale, J. (2015). Why Did I Not Prepare for This? The Politics of Negotiating Fieldwork Access, Identity, and Methodology in Researching Microfinance Institutions. Sage Open, (June 4), s. 1-12. Hentet fra dx.doi.org
- Synnes, R. M. (2018). Ethnicity negotiations: Strategies of young Muslims and Christians in Oslo. Nordic journal of religion and society, 31(2), s. 139-156. Bibliotek. Hentet fra doi.org
- Taira, T. (2013). Making space for discursive study in religious studies. Religion, 43(1), s. 26-45. Hentet fra doi.org
- Thwaites, T., Davis, L. & Mules, W. (2002). Introducing cultural and media studies: A semiotic approach (s. 117-133). Houndmills: Palgrave. Bibliotek (Kompendium)
- Hennink, M. M., Hutter, I. & Bailey, A. (2020). Qualitative research methods (2. utg.). Los Angeles, Calif: Sage. Bibliotek
- National Committees for Research Ethics in Norway, . (2016). Guidelines for research ethics in the social sciences, humanities, law, and theology. Hentet 2017-04-04 fra www.etikkom.no
- Den nasjonale forskningsetiske komité for samfunnsvitenskap og humaniora (NESH), . (2016). Forskningsetiske retningslinjer for samfunnsvitenskap, humaniora, juss og teologi. Hentet 2019-11-22 fra www.etikkom.no
- Tjora, A. H. (2017). Kvalitative forskningsmetoder i praksis (3. utg.). Oslo: Gyldendal akademisk. Bibliotek