- Emnekode: HIS5010
- Studiepoeng: 10
- Språk: Engelsk
Theoretical perspectives: The historical study of religion HIS5010
The course aims to provide a brief introduction to some of the disciplines related to and subsumed under the large umbrella term 'history of religions' as well as to the main theoretical and methodological developments in these fields. The areas explored include: sociological and anthropological theories of religion; culture theory and cultural studies; cultural memory; philology, and translation. The course has a strong theoretical component aimed at providing the students with the analytical tools necessary to and required for the completion of the programme.
HIS5010 consists of two parts:
Part A (5 ECTS), “Approaching Religion”, addresses perspectives and debates of importance for all academic study of religion, whether historical or in contemporary society. Part A is a shared component with SAM5010 Theoretical Perspectives: Religion in Contemporary Society.
The areas explored are:
- Theories and definitions of religion: major turns
- Key concepts in the study of religion
- Categorizations and religion: gendering, racializing, othering
- Present usages of the past
Part B (5 ECTS), “Multidisciplinarity in the study of religion”, is a specialised component focused on various fields relating to and used in the history of religions.
HIS5010 The historical study of religion: Multidisciplinary theoretical perspectives is an obligatory course in the Master's programme in History of Religions.
In order to receive a final assessment, the student must:
- Attend at least 75% of the lectures and seminars that are part of the course.
- Pass one written assessment task (800-1000 words) to be set by the course convener.
- Participate in the electronic evaluation of the course if such evaluation is stipulated in the relevant term.
When course requirements are not fulfilled, this will count as one examination attempt, unless the student withdraws before the set deadline (1 May/November).
To gain credit for the course the student must fulfill all the requirements and pass a three day home exam (2500-3500 words). The course is assessed with grades A-F.
The aim of this course is to provide the students with an introduction to the main theoretical and methodological developments in both religious studies generally and history of religions in particular.
The student has:
- a good knowledge of central concepts, principles and phenomena in the listed under General information
- a good command of specific technical terminology in these disciplines
- a good understanding of the history and evolution of these disciplines
The student can:
- critically assess the evolutionary processes within these disciplines
- identify adequate theoretical approaches and analytical methods to particular research topics
- write an exam essay in accordance with the academic standards introduced in the course
HIS5010 Theoretical perspectives: The historical study of religion overlaps partly with SAM5010 Theoretical Perspectives: Religion in Contemporary Society:
- Students who have already completed SAM5010 will receive 5 credit points (ECTS) for HIS5010 on their transcript of records or diploma.
Her finner du lenke til litteraturlisten for emnet.
Deler av litteraturen er tilgjengelig digitalt, annet finnes kun i papirutgaver. Deler av litteraturen kan være tilgjengelig i kompendier, som du kan finne enten på lenken under eller i Canvas.
Du får automatisk tilgang til litteratur som er tilgjengelig digitalt når du sitter på MF.
Ellers får du tilgang ved å logge deg inn på Oria eller bruke "Ekstern tilgang" i bibliotekets databaseliste.
Merk at lenken til litteraturlisten trenger noe tid for å oppdateres. Vennligst dobbeltsjekk at du har kommet inn på riktig semester.