Residence permit and registration with the police

All students from outside the Nordic countries, staying more than three months, have to apply for a study permit through the Norwegian Immigration Office, UDI.

EU/EAA citizens 

Citizens from EU/EEA and Switzerland do not need to apply for a residence permit, but must register with the Police if staying in Norway for more than 3 months. 

Non-EU/ EEA/

All students from outside the EU/EEA-area must apply for a study permit. Citizens under the Norwegian visa regulations are required to apply for a visa and residence permit before entering Norway. Please note that students who enter Norway without the necessary permit will not be allowed to remain in the country.

Students from visa waiving countries must apply for residence permit if they are going to stay in Norway for more than 3 months.