Field Studies

Master's or Bachelor's thesis abroad? As part of your studies at MF, you can write a bigger assignment or thesis. Field studies abroad can be included in such a task.

In order to cover expenses for field studies, you will generally get support from the Loan Fund for stays over 4 weeks. In addition to that, you also have the opportunity to apply for the MF grant.

See below for more information about field studies abroad.

Apply for Field Studies

Relevant field studies must be recognized by the supervisor for the respective assignment or thesis together with the respective student adviser. 

For questions regarding academic arrangements in relation to field studies, please contact your advisor within the program that you are a student. See here for contact information.

Before Traveling

Be aware that you are responsible for financing the stay abroad, and the application (its whole process) for support from the Loan Fund is also your own responsibility.

The Loan Fund (Norwegian: Lånekassen)
For the majority of students, the Loan Fund is the most important funding option during an exchange program abroad (be it during a long or short period). The Loan Fund gives loan to the coverage of part time students abroad, as travel and stays expenses, as well as financial support to cover tuition fees for those that have to pay them. At the Loan Fund website you will find information about how to apply for financial support to part time studies abroad and what must be attached in the application.

The MF Grant
If you travel because of field studies you also have the possibility to apply for the MF grant.

Health Insurance
For those that are members of the National Insurance (Norwegian: Folketrygden) the membership will be maintained during the studies abroad under 12 months. You have the responsibility to be informed about what it does imply and what kind of medical expenses it covers. NAV (the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration) has more information about rights of students abroad.

Additional Insurance
It is important to be aware that you must have an additional insurance (medical insurance and travel insurance), and you are responsible to obtain it.

Visa and Temporary Permit
You are responsible to obtain information about visa criteria in the country you will travel to. Contact the country's embassy/consulate. Also remember to check if your passport is valid for the whole period you will be abroad and in accordance with applicable national regulations.

Travel Vaccines
Remember to take eventual necessary travel vaccines before departing. The health services at SiO offers travel vaccines as well as orientation to students associated to traveling abroad.

Advice from the authorities
Under exceptional conditions, the Norwegian authorities can discourage travel and stays in certain countries or areas on short notice. You must be aware of those possible short notices from the authorities. Check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website in Norway for advice.

Registration at MF
When you travel for an exchange program through MF's partners, you will pay the semester fee, and then register yourself as a student as usual at MF during the respective semester you will be abroad.

Safety Abroad

Before traveling

Update Contact Information

  • Remember to update your parents, family, or closest relatives about you address and telephone abroad.
  • Update the contact information in the Studentweb.
  • Update MF and your closest relatives about contact information abroad, passport number, and insurance number.

Copy of important documents/papers

  • Make a copy of you passport, visa, and other important documents just in case of theft. Keep the original documents in a safe place.


  • Health Insurance: When you apply for financial support from the Loan Fund to students abroad, you will be automatically a member of the National Insurance (Norwegian: Folketrygden) during your period abroad. Under exchange programs you are entitled to coverage of health services.
  • If you need confirmation of this right, or have a question about the right to coverage of health services you must contact The Norwegian Health Economics Administration (Helfo).
  • Travel Insurance: It is important to be aware that you must have an additional insurance (travel insurance). The National Insurance (Norwegian: Folketrygden) gives right to coverage of health services, but it does not cover, for example, repatriation due to disease/sickness. If you obtain membership of ANSA (Association of Norwegian Students Abroad) you can buy their insurance that covers what the National Insurance (Norwegian: Folketrygden) does not cover.
  • You can also contact directly with different insurance companies in order to check their offers.


  • Remember to take eventual necessary vaccines before traveling. The department for Health affairs at SIO offers vaccines and orientation to students regarding traveling abroad.

During the period abroad

Laws and Rules

  • Learn about the local safety recommendations (for example, the host university) – that is the most important source of information. The Norwegian Minister of Foreign affairs website gives more information about safety in different countries.
  • Advice from the Norwegian government: Under special conditions the Norwegian authorities (Department of Foreign Affairs or Department of Health Issues) may discourage to travel to certain countries and areas on short notice. You should be aware of that and follow eventual such eventual advices.
  • Follow laws and rules in the respective country you will be living in and be aware of laws, norms, and rules (both written and unwritten) other than those that apply to Norway. A good guidebook can give you the guidelines.
  • Avoid any involvement with drugs. The majority of the countries have strict consequences to such conditions, in some places even the death penalty. You are accountable to the host country's laws.


  • Be careful after dark, avoid-crime areas, and show caution. Remember that drugs impair judicial issues.
  • Make sure others know where you are!
  • Never walk with many a lot of cash with you.

Prepare yourself

  • It is smart to have different cards to make payments just in case one is stolen. You should have sufficient funds in your bank account in Norway to cover any extraordinary expenses (illness, repatriation, and similar situations).
  • Tickets and passports: You may want to book a ticket that allows you to change your return, in case it turns out necessary. Alternatively, you should ensure that you have the funds on hand to be able to cover a new ticket on short notice.
    Check if your passport (eventually your visa as well) is valid for the entire length of stay in accordance with applicable national regulations.
  • Have the telephone number to the nearest Norwegian foreign service office (embassy or consulate) as well as other important phone numbers. For stays outside Europe, where this is applicable, you are advised to register at the nearest Norwegian foreign service office during your stay.

If anything happens

Crisis Situations

  • First of all, make sure that your dependents, your host university and/or MF are informed about your situation and where you are. Inform also the nearest embassy or consulate.
  • Under a state of emergency (political tension, natural disasters etc.).
  • Follow directions from local authorities and inform the Norwegian embassy about you and your residence address if you have not done so previously. Under political tension, keep contact with the embassy.

Medical Aid

  • The host university, the insurance company's emergency center (SOS), or Norwegian embassies can make recommendations

Under less critical cases

  • Contact your host university's contact person for advice and assistance. Under serious incidents, you should also contact the nearest Norwegian foreign service office (embassy or consulate). If there is no Norwegian representation, other Nordic foreign service stations be contacted.

Under sickness (outside EU)

  • You will get a refund after the international guidelines from NAV (they have their own reimbursement form). Get more information with NAV.
  • Under more serious cases, like hospitalization etc., you should contact the nearest embassy. You can also contact the emergency number provided in your private health insurance for assistance.

Important Contact Information


For general information about visa, follow this link

After Returning Home

After you've returned from your study period abroad, you must get a final approval of the fieldwork. In addition, we would appreciate if you contribute to tell fellow students about your stay.

When you return, you must contact the student advisor for a final academic recognition of your fieldwork abroad.

Reporting requirements in connection with your fieldwork abroad is agreed with the student advisor.

Contribute to promoting
You can contribute to the promotion of studies abroad by letting your fellow students know about your own experience. You can do this by telling about your fieldwork abroad during information meetings and public information days for studies abroad to be held before the application deadline for future students.


General questions and arrangements

MF's international office helps you with practical information and arrangaments.

Telephone: 22 59 05 74 / 22 59 05 00 |