Matthew Phillip Monger
I am an Associate Professor of Near Eastern Languages and Literatures at MF. My main research interests are the languages and texts of the Ancient Near East, including Akkadian, Hebrew, Syriac/Aramaic, Ethiopic, and Arabic, and the intersections of texts in these languages. My current research is on common textual traditions found in Jewish, Christian, and Muslim sources in Antiquity and the Early Muslim Period, and the relationship between them. My Ph.D. was on the Book of Jubilees among the Dead Sea Scrolls and Ethiopic manuscripts, and I continue to work with the reception of Jewish Pseudepigrapha in later Christian and Muslim contexts.
Theoretically and methodologically, I am interested in the transmission and reception of texts and traditions and the methods and theories that guide scholars in their research on texts and situate my research within the paradigm of Material (or New) Philology.
I am also the Program Director for MF's bachelor's degree in Theology, Religion, and Society.
Latest academic publications
- Lied, L. I. & Monger, M. P. (2019). 4 Ezra (= 2 Esdras 3-14). Syriac. Deuterocanonical Scriptures, s. 481 - 488. Brill Academic Publishers. ISBN: 9789004355613
- Monger, M. P. (2018). 4Q216 - A New Material Analysis. Semitica, (60), s. 308 - 333. ISSN: 0373-630X
- Monger, M. P. (2018). The many forms of Jubilees: A reassessment of the manuscript evidence from Qumran and the lines of transmission of the parts and whole of Jubilees. Revue de Qumran, 30(2), s. 191 - 211. ISSN: 0035-1725
- Lied, L. I. & Monger, M. P. (2018). Look to the East : New and Forgotten Sources of 4 Ezra. The Embroidered Bible: Studies in Biblical Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha in Honour of Michael E. Stone, s. 639 - 652. ISBN: 978-90-04-35588-0
- Monger, M. P. (2017). The Development of Jubilees 1 in the Late Second Temple Period. Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha, 27(2), s. 83 - 112. ISSN: 0951-8207
- Monger, M. P. (2016). The Transmission of Jubilees: Reevaluating the Textual Basis. New Vistas on Early Judaism and Christianity : From Enoch to Montreal and Back, s. 153 - 171. T&T Clark. ISBN: 9780567666178
- Monger, M. P. (2014). 4Q216 and the State of Jubilees at Qumran. Revue de Qumran, 26(4), s. 595 - 612. ISSN: 0035-1725
Education and professional practice
|2006||MF - Norwegian School of Theology: Bacheor of Theology|
|2008||MF - Norwegian School of Theology: Master of Theology|
|2009||University of Oslo: Bachelor of Arts in Languistics|
|2012||University of Oslo: Master of Philosophy in Languages: Semitic Linguistics with Hebrew|
|2018||Ph.D. "4Q216: Rethinking Jubilees in the First Century BCE." MF|