Mary Jane Cuyler
I am an archaeologist and Latinist with a particular interest in the archaeology and history of Ostia, which was Rome's closest harbor in antiquity. I have worked on the excavations of the ancient synagogue at Ostia since 2006, and I have served as Field Director for that project since 2011. My research and publications focus especially on the "archaeology of archaeology", that is, exploring the contexts and dates of materials and structures that were uncovered or excavated long ago, and which deserve reexamination.
My formal training in the field of Classics is wide-ranging and international. My B.A. is in Classical Philology (Bellingham, USA) where I trained intensively in Latin and Greek. At the University of Texas at Austin I studied archaeology in the Department of Classics. My M.A. focused on Linear B, ancient perfume, and Mycenaean Archaeology, and I worked for several seasons studying Mycenaean pottery at Iklaina. I then completed the Ph.D. coursework/exams in Classical Archaeology before accepting an international fellowship to write my Ph.D. thesis on landscapes of Republican Ostia at the University of Sydney (Australia) in the Department of Classics & Ancient History.
Nyeste vitenskapelige publikasjoner
- Cuyler, M. J. (2021). The Archaeology of the Earliest Phases of the Quattro Tempietti. Ad Ostium Tiberis. Proceedings of the Conference "Ricerche Archeologiche alla Foce del Tevere (Rome–Ostia, December 2018, 18th-20th), s. 227 - 242. Peeters Publishers. ISBN: 9789042944985
- Cuyler, M. J. (2021). Castrum Inui: il santuario di Inuus alla Foce del Fosso dell'Incastro. Torelli, Mario and Elisa Marroni (ed.). Monumenti antichi /Serie miscellanea, Volume 21. Roma: Giorgio Bretschneider Editore, 2018. Bryn Mawr Classical Review (BMCR). ISSN: 1055-7660
- Cuyler, M. J. (2021). How Old is the Synagogue at Ostia?. The First Urban Churches 6: Rome and Ostia, s. 343 - 356. Brill Academic Publishers. ISBN: 0884145050
- Cuyler, M. J., Martin, A. & Banducci, L. (2020). Santa Maria in Aracoeli (Rome): Frank Brown’s excavation in 1963. Archaeologiae. Research by Foreign Missions in Italy., XVIII(1-2), s. 11 - 80. ISSN: 1723-5804
- Cuyler, M. J. (2019). Legend and Archaeology at Ostia: P. Lucilius Gamala and the Quattro Tempietti. Babesch: Bulletin Antieke Beschaving. ISSN: 0165-9367
- Cuyler, M. J. (2014). Portus Augusti: The Claudian Harbour on a Sestertius of Nero. Art in the Round: New Approaches to Ancient Coin Iconography, s. 121 - 134. Verlag Marie Leidorf. ISBN: 9783896469960
- Cuyler, M. J. (2012). Rose, Sage, Cyperus and e-ti: The Adornment of Olive Oil in the Palace of Nestor. KOSMOS : jewellery, adornment and textiles in the Aegean Bronze Age, s. 655 - 662. Peeters Publishers. ISBN: 9789042926653
Utdanning og praksis
|2000 - 2005||B.A. Western Washington University|
|2005 - 2007||M.A. The University of Texas at Austin|
|2007 - 2011||Ph.D. The University of Texas at Austin (A.B.D. 2010)|
|2011 - 2016||Ph.D. The University of Sydney|