MF Norwegian School of Theology offers PhD studies in a number of disciplines and fields of research.
A Cand.Theol or a Master’s degree within a relevant subject area is necessary in order to get admission. In addition all applicants have to submit a good project description for a PhD thesis, the scheduled time-frame of completion and how to finance the studies.
A PhD in Norway normally takes 3 years full time/ 6 years part time (180 ECTS). The assessment will be a trial lecture and a public defense of the PhD thesis.
Use this form when applying for PhD studies
We have ongoing doctoral degree work in the following disciplines:
The Old Testament, the New Testament, Church and Cultural History, Systematic Theology, Ecumenism, Ethics, Practical Theology, Diakonia, Religious Education, Science of Religion, Sociology of Religion, Psychology of Religion, Social Sciences, Missiology.
MF Norwegian School of Theology offers Doctoral Programmes (PhD) in:
- Religious Education / Religious Studies
A PhD in Norway normally takes 3 years full-time/ 6 years-part time (180 ECTS).
In order to be admitted to MF’s Doctoral Program, the applicant must have completed a five year master’s program in Theology, Religious Studies, Religious Education or its equivalent.
Does MF offer financial assistance to international students?
MF does not offer any scholarships. All international students must arrive in Oslo with adequate funding to pay for student fees, registration fees, accommodation and other living expenses. Apart from a relatively small student fee/ registration fee there is no tuition fee to study at MF.
The application for admission to the doctoral programme shall contain:
- A project proposal for the thesis
- A detailed plan for completion of the project, including interim deadlines, etc.
- An account of project funding
- An account of the need for academic supervision and the name(s) of proposed supervisor(s)
- Any relevant plans for extended stays at other research institutions
- A plan for publication/dissemination of results
- Documentation of educational background that qualifies for admission
PhD-coordinator: Dr.Theol. Nils Aksel Røsæg
P: +47 22 59 05 53